Corpus Christi Criminal Defense Attorney Les Cassidy

Don’t wait another minute




  • In most states, it’s illegal to drive a car while “impaired” by the effects of alcohol or drugs (including prescription drugs). This means that there must be enough alcohol or drugs in the driver’s body to prevent him from thinking clearly or driving safely. Many people reach this level well before they’d be considered “drunk” or “stoned.”



  • Police typically use three methods of determining whether a driver has had too much to be driving:

    Observation. A police officer will pull you over if he notices that you are driving erratically — swerving, speeding, failing to stop or even driving too slowly. Of course, you may have a good explanation for your driving (tiredness, for example), but an officer is unlikely to buy your story if he smells alcohol on your breath or notices slurred words or unsteady movements.

    Sobriety tests. If an officer suspects that you are under the influence, he will probably ask you to get out of the car and perform a series of balance and speech tests, such as standing on one leg, walking a straight line heel-to-toe or reciting a line of letters or numbers. The officer will look closely at your eyes, checking for pupil enlargement or constriction, which can be evidence of intoxication. If you fail these tests, the officer may arrest you or ask you to take a chemical test.

    Blood-alcohol level. The amount of alcohol in your body is understood by measuring the amount of alcohol in your blood. This measurement can be taken directly, by drawing a sample of your blood, or it can be calculated by applying a mathematical formula to the amount of alcohol in your breath or urine. Some states give you a choice of whether to take a breath, blood or urine test — others do not. If you test at or above the level of intoxication for your state (.08 to .10 % blood-alcohol concentration, depending on the state), you are presumed to be driving under the influence unless you can convince a judge or jury that your judgment was not impaired and you were not driving dangerously. Defense attorneys often question the validity of the conversion formula when driver’s alcohol levels are based on breath or urine tests.


  • No, but it may be in your best interests to take the test. Many states will automatically suspend your license for a year if you refuse to take a chemical test. And if your drunk driving case goes to trial, the prosecutor can tell the jury that you wouldn’t take the test, which may lead the jury members to conclude that you refused because you were, in fact, drunk or stoned.


  • Please call Les Cassidy to schedule an appointment so that he can discuss the specifics of your case and his fee to represent you. He is not cheap, but he is also not the most expensive. His fees are reasonable for his client service and for his experience, qualifications, and ability.


  • How do I get someone out of jail?

    If your loved one has been placed in jail, you may be able to get them out on bail so that they do not remain in jail in the time before their trial.


  • Calling a professional bondsman is a good way to find out if there is a warrant for your arrest. Warrants are serious matters that should not be taken lightly.


  • You may post a cash bond so that you do not get placed under arrest.

  • No bond means that you cannot be taken out of jail until a judge assigns bail.

  • You can expect to wait from 4 to 8 hours after a person has been arrested.


  • United States law guarantees that an individual has the right to legal counsel.

  • You have the right to remain silent after you have been charged with a crime, because anything that you say can be used against you in court.


  • Police are required by law to read your rights but if they do not, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your case is not valid. For an accurate assessment, consult an attorney.


  • Bail is set so that a person accused of a crime has incentive to show up to the court proceedings. You may seek help from a judge if you cannot afford bail.

  • You have the best chance of getting your charges lessened or dropped completely when you secure the help of a good criminal lawyer.


  • Every lawyer will charge you something different for your case. To find out about the rates that our firm will charge, contact the number above or below to get a free consultation.

  • The only way to have your criminal record cleared, whether you were only arrested or you were convicted, will be to seek an expunction or non-disclosure.

  • Probation means that you have been found guilty of the crime, while deferred adjudication means that you have not yet been declared guilty.

  • In some instances, you can petition to have your criminal record hidden from the public.

  • The role of the grand jury has changed in recent years, and every felony case must now be indicted by this group of individuals.

  • This is a bail hearing and happens when a US Attorney has moved for detention.

  • A conviction will not automatically be sealed at age 18, and additional steps must be taken to keep this charge from appearing on background checks.